Prefeasibility studies for ESIA – DHP (Devoll Hydropower Plant)
Client: Devoll Hydropower Plant
Overall project value: 500 000 €
Implementing period: 10/2009 – 12/2010
Detailed description of project
Devoll Hydropower SHA, a joint venture formed by Statkraft AS, a Norwegian based European leader in renewable energy and EVN AG, an Austrian based leading utility company, with major investments in Eastern and South Eastern Europe, has been competitively selected and awarded a concession by the Albanian Government to develop hydropower plant projects on Devoli River in Albania. The Concession Agreement has been signed by authorized representatives of the Joint Venture company and the Albanian Government in Tirana, December, 2008.
The joint venture company intends to construct three peak-load hydropower storage plants with a total capacity of approximately 320 MW and an average production of approximately 1.000 GWh.
The Project Area is located about 70 km south of Tirana and includes the mountainous region of the middle and upper reaches of the Devolli River between the village of Maliq and the village of Banje.
The main objective of the assignment is to provide technical assistance for completion of the tender documentation in compliance with the EU directives and provision of pre-feasibility studies and feasibility studies.
Type of services provided
- Preparation of prefeasibility studies for Environmental and Social Impact Assessment;
- Assistance during collection of the permits and authorizations in coordination with the relevant institutions and agencies;
- Analysis of the Albanian legal and regulatory framework, managing the process of collection necessary permits and licenses for the construction of the HPP, preparation of documentation for the outstanding licenses;
- Review and comparison of the collected data and arrangements with the Albanian legal and tendering requirements;
- Examination of the existing permits for the local use of water resources that may affect the technical requirements, Project timeline and bankability;
- Project risk analysis, including approaches for mitigating technical and operational risks, delays, government approval/permitting issues, off-take agreement, cost overrun, management and financial risks
- Baseline surveys and assessment;
- Preparation of Environmental Management Plan;
- Construction Phase Environmental Control and Auditing